Friday, August 9, 2013

League of Extraordinary Bloggers - What a Nightmare!


Wow, has it really been almost a month since my last post! I guess this is a solid topic to get back into the swing of things. This week's assignment for the League: "What a Nightmare!"

As a kid I had what you'd call a vivid imagination. The sky was truly the limit for me if something worked itself in my brain and stuck. Here are a few of the most terrifying creatures to haunt my dreams and thoughts as a kid.

The Troll from "Cat's Eye"
As a kid growing up my grandmom and her brother (my great uncle) lived with us. My uncle was a great guy. Super silly and very fun to spend time with. He loved goofing around with my brother and I. We would always go into his room, flop on his bed and watch TV with him. Usually he'd be watching some wildlife show on National Geographic that we'd enjoy also. Well every once in a while he'd have some creepy show or movie on....being the silly, irresponsible uncle he was, he'd let us watch. I will never forget the day we saw "Steven King's: Cat's Eye". Long story short, it's about a little girl who is visited at night by this creepy troll that came out of a tiny hole in her wall. It would crawl on her while she slept and terrorize her. The cat, thought to be the villain by the girl's mom, ends up saving her (if memory serves me). That damn troll scarred the sh*t out of me! Took me weeks to get that little guy out of my head!
My Uncle loved "dressing up" people in silly outfits and disguises. That's me and my bro with plastic mustaches and cigars!

The Priest from "Beetlejuice"

I'm semi ashamed to admit that this weird little dude scared me. I don't know what it was about him but he really freaked me out! I can still hear my brother in my ear teasing me that I was afraid of this guy! But hey, whenever he did I'd just remind him of how lame he was for wanting to be older (sort of like in the movie "Big") so he could marry Lucy Deacons! She's the girl from "The Great Outdoors". I don't think I'll ever let him live that one down!

"The Candy Man"
I guess anything that involved looking into a mirror and saying a person's name freaked me out. I hated the "Bloody Mary" story and this was pretty much the same deal! I remember many late night trips to the bathroom where I'd do all I could to avoid any eye contact with the mirror!

"The Exorcist"
I suppose you could say I saved the best for last. This movie literally scared the hell out of me!I was about 8 or 9 years old when I first watched this. Yet another irresponsible adult exposed me to this horrifying movie. Quick bit of back story. One of my best friends growing up had a father who was the epitome of a big kid. He'd let us eat crappy food all the time, stay us late, and of course watch shows and movies inappropriate for kids. Anyway one night we turned off the lights and watched this movie. After that I don't think I got a good nights sleep for months! I'd wake up in sweats literally terrified! I think it was the fact that this could be real that got to me. Luckily at that point in my life my brother and I shared a room together. He was equally terrified so we'd push our beds together and do our best to get some sleep. Honestly, even at my age now, I'm still freaked out by this movie!
There were other creepy things that scarred me as a kid but those mentioned were the ones that really stood out and stuck around!

Be sure to check out some other Nightmare posts from around the League!

The Goodwill Geek Shares a terrifying nightmare from his childhood...
Stunt Zombie shares a first nightmare....
Ashley dreams of an invasion!

No comments:

Post a Comment